El Carmelo Cemetery, Pacific Grove
About El Carmelo Cemetery, Pacific Grove
The first map of the El Carmelo Cemetery was made in 1890. While the City of Pacific Grove is the current owner and operator of the cemetery, ownership changed a number of times in the early 1900s. Prior owners included the El Carmelo Cemetery Association, Hind Harper, the Pacific Improvement Company, and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
According to the March 6, 1906 edition of the Pacific Grove Daily Review, the Odd Fellows ownership would not be exclusively for deceased lodge members and their relatives but would be open to all. The review went on to state that “those desiring to have their lots cared for should make an application to the lodge, the charge being from 25 cents to 50 cents per month for this service.” Today, a one-time endowment fee at the time of purchase pays for current and future care of the plots.