Gonzales Cemetery District, Gonzales
About Gonzales Cemetery District, Gonzales
Positioned in the windy corridor between busy Highway 101 and Alta Street on the south end of town, the Gonzales cemetery dates almost as far back as the town itself. Scant records exist of the cemetery before its official founding in 1939. Holding the only keys to its beginnings are the town”s remaining old-timers.
Ninety-year-old Gonzales native Art Juri believes that a farmer and rancher by the name of Wells Parsons opened the cemetery in 1901. “Parsons laid out the land for the cemetery and moved his three babies who had been buried out on his ranch by Johnson Canyon Road. His kids” are the oldest stones in there.”
Many young victims of scourges fill the oldest section in the center of the cemetery, including one plot dedicated to four Parsons children lost to diphtheria between 1876-78.