Paso Robles District Cemetery, Paso Robles
About Paso Robles District Cemetery, Paso Robles
The first full year of operation as a public cemetery district was 1938-1939 with a total budget of $5,700. In 1942 the Catholic Cemetery was deeded to the Cemetery District and in 1945 the Heaton/Pioneer Cemetery was also deeded to the District resulting in the combination of all three cemeteries into one.
Through the late ’30s and ’40s many improvements and upgrades occurred with the use of a caretaker’s house, maintenance buildings, the first lawn planted, the grounds tended and a lily pond established (the lily pond was eventually replaced by the chapel). In the 1960s the caretaker’s house was demolished and the current office building was constructed.
In the 1970s the entry gates were constructed and additional lawn grave sites were installed. The 1980s saw the construction of the open-air Chapel with three banks of cremation niches added to the outside walls of the Chapel. Also, the original 16 space Mausoleum was expanded to include 56 new crypts as well as 140 cremation niches.
The 1990s saw the addition of the Memorial Rose Garden; complete with ornamental fencing, walkways, and beautiful stained glass windows in the Chapel.
The most recent improvements to the Paso Robles District Cemetery include a new front entry sign, a new Veteran section completed in 2002 which includes in-ground grave spaces, cremation niches, and a flag pole ossuary, as well as the completion of 2 new lawn sections and niche banks in the old Heaton/Pioneer Section complete with a loop road, sidewalks, and benches.