Pine Grove Cemetery, Orcutt
About Pine Grove Cemetery, Orcutt
The Pine Grove Cemetery was originally one and two-thirds acres in size and was officially designated a cemetery in 1888. That year, Absalom Stubblefield sold a corner of his property to the Pine Grove Cemetery Association for five dollars. The Association was formed in 1888 and composed of the pioneer families of the southern Santa Maria Valley and named after the local school district. Pine Grove had been their cemetery since the mid-1870s and is the final resting place for many members of valley pioneer families.
The property was divided into forty lots, approximately twelve graves to a lot. Whole and partial lots were sold. Money collected was used to build and keep a fence around the cemetery. The Association was not responsible for burials.
In 1917, the County Board of Supervisors established a district in the Santa Maria Valley known as the Santa Maria Cemetery District with a board of trustees. The Pine Grove Cemetery was part of this district and managed by the supervisor of the Santa Maria Cemetery District. The Pine Grove Cemetery Association officially terminated in 1938 and jurisdiction remains with the Santa Maria Cemetery District.
A dedication ceremony for the cemetery was held on Sunday, December 19, 1976, by the Tres Condados Senior Girl Scout Troop 187 on behalf of the Santa Barbara County Historical Landmarks Advisory Committee.