West Side Cemetery District, Taft
About West Side Cemetery District, Taft
In the months prior to November 1930, the Kern County Board of Supervisors by resolution, formed the West Side Cemetery District; this action made possible by the Public Cemetery Enabling Act of 1909. Prior to 1930 and until 1933, the cemetery used for public burial was located a the south end of Lierly Ave. in what was known as “South Taft” at “Midway Cemetery”. The first Board of Trustees meeting was held on November 1, 1930, and the board consisted of 3 members. A fourth person was an advisor to the board and was a County Engineer.